Leak Around Middle: New Garbage Disposal
- Last updated
Save as PDF
How to diagnose a problem with a garbage disposal-This article deals with leaking around the middle of the disposal. This information is specifically for newly installed disposals, not existing units.
- Place a sink stopper in the sink and fill the sink with water.
- Wrap paper towels directly at the very top of the garbage disposal around the sink flange.
- Wrap paper towels around the drain discharge elbow on the side of the garbage disposal where it connects to the disposer.
- Wrap paper towels around the dishwasher connector on the side of the garbage disposal where it connects to the dishwasher.
- Once you have wrapped all the necessary places, release the stopper and let the water drain.
- Check all of the paper towels to see if they are wet. If any are wet, the leak is coming from that area and is caused by an issue with the installation of that specific item.
1- Flare on drain discharge elbow
2- Black rubber gasket
3- Metal flange
Make sure that the drain elbow gasket is on the drain discharge elbow and behind the flare of the drain discharge elbow with the metal flange behind that. If the drain elbow gasket is installed between the garbage disposal and drain discharge elbow then the water may leak.
First ensure that the water is not leaking from the top of the garbage disposal and dripping down. Below are other potential reasons for a leak.
Custom Installation- Using another brand drain kit (1-1/2" drain discharge tube) for a unique installation:
- Drain elbow gasket- See part #2 in image.
- Re-using the drain elbow gasket- Re-using the drain elbow gasket from the original garbage disposal can cause leaking and is not recommended.
Dishwasher Connector (7/8" dishwasher connection):
- Loose connection- If the dishwasher discharge connector or dishwasher clamp are loose there can be a leak.
- Re-using the dishwasher connector- It is recommended to use the dishwasher connector, Moen part #1023, from the new garbage disposal.
Drain Discharge Elbow:
- Loose screws- The screws on the drain discharge elbow have Loctite on them which can make them feel threaded in all the way when they can be tightened a little more.
- Drain elbow gasket- See part #2 in image
For a comprehensive guide, visit solutions.moen.com and select the type of garbage disposal you are repairing. The garbage disposal guide will contain specific information associated with that style of product.
Still Not Finding What You're Looking For?
Contact Us or Call 1-800-BUY-MOEN
Non US? Moen Canada | Other International Sites