Maintenance: How to Clean a 1423 Balancing Spool
- The water supply shut off valves must be turned off- see article How to Turn Off the Water Supply to the Faucet.
- Recommended Tools: Phillips Screwdriver, Flathead Screwdriver, Soft Brush, Small Bowl, White Vinegar
- The following instructions assume the handle and associated handle pieces have been removed. For additional details, visit solutions.moen.com and select the type you are repairing. The faucet guide will contain specific information on handle assemblies associated with that style of product.
- We recommend covering the drain before removing the handle so to not loose any parts down the drain.
Valve and Escutcheon
Removing the 1423 Balancing Spool:
1. To remove the stop tube (#3), grab ahold of the stop tube (#3) and pull forward until it has been removed.
2. To remove the escutcheon (#2), use a Phillips screwdriver to remove the two escutcheon screws (#1). Slide the escutcheon plate (#2) off of the valve body (#5).
3. To remove the balancing spool (#4), use a large flathead screwdriver to unthread the balancing spool (#4) from the valve body (#5). This will require about six full rotations before you can pull the balancing spool (#4) from the valve body (#5) (See Figure A).
Cleaning the Balancing Spool:
1. Using a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water, swish the balancing spool around in the solution and allow it soak for 5-7 minutes. Use a tooth brush to clean the outside of the balancing spool. Once this is done, shake the balancing spool. It should rattle like there is a metal ball inside (similar to the sound a spray paint can makes when you shake it). If there is no sound, the balancing spool will need replaced, reinstall the current balancing spool until you are ready to install a new one. Note: Without a balancing spool installed, the water cannot be turned back on.
Reinstalling the Balancing Spool:
1. Slide the balancing spool back (#4) into the valve body (#5), using the Flathead screwdriver, screw it back down into the valve body.
2. Reverse Steps 1& 2 above.
For additional information on Moen products visit solutions.moen.com and select the type of product you are repairing. The guide will contain repair details, troubleshooting and specific information on assembling handles associated with that style of product.
Still Not Finding What You're Looking For?
Contact Us or Call 1-800-BUY-MOEN
Non US? Moen Canada | Other International Sites