Can I change my Moen roman tub trim?
Will the spout fit?
Remove the old spout and measure the spout shank. This measurement should be taken from the base of the deck to the top of the spout shank.
Will the handles fit?
Remove the handle to investigate the stem extension or handle adapter. The stem extension / handle adapter is the piece that the handle fits over. This will either have vertical “splines” or it will have a shape that consists of three flat sides and one curved side (“D” shaped).
1. If it has vertical “Splines”, any of the new trim handles will be compatible. There is no need to investigate any further – no additional parts or kits are needed to accept the new handles.
2. If the top of this piece has a shape that consists of three flat sides and one curved side (“D” shaped). Click here for image
3. Look at the six-sided nut that will be located at the base of the stem extension / handle adapter. This will either be a chrome metal nut or a white plastic nut. Click here for image
*First, turn off the water pressure going to the unit.
*Second, unscrew this white plastic nut and remove the stem extension / handle adapter.
*Finally, inspect the interior of the valve body.
- If the valve body is threaded all the way down to the cartridge, then any of the current handles can be used, but the stem extensions and the chrome metal nut will need to be removed and replaced with the stem extensions located in Moen Service Kit 106378. This kit includes both hot and cold stem extensions. There is no need to investigate any further.
- If the valve body is not threaded all the way down to the cartridge, then the new handles cannot be used. The only option would be to replace the valve body and trim. Click here for image