This is the underside of the handle showing the handle lug.
- Carefully pry off handle cap (#1) with flat bladed instrument.
- Using a Phillips screwdriver, remove handle screw (#2).
- Lift handle (#4) up and off.
- Being careful not to damage the finish, unscrew and remove collar (#5) and lift off pivot retainer (#6).
- Unscrew and remove retainer nut, o-ring, bearing washer and washer(s) (#7).
- Locate the copper clip (#10) on the top of the faucet. The copper clip (#10) could be installed from the front or the back of the faucet. Slide this out to remove.
- Using the plastic twisting tool, provided in the 1225 cartridge kit, rotate the cartridge 1/4 of a turn (90 degrees) in either direction. This will help loosen the cartridge.
8. Remove the twisting tool from the top of the cartridge. Raise the stem of the cartridge (#9) until it stops. Using pliers or channel locks, grab the stem of the cartridge (#19) and pull the cartridge out. This may require some effort.
Valve Cleaning and Flushing:
Before installing the new cartridge ,the valve body (will need to be cleaned and flushed out. This step may require two people, one to monitor the flow of water coming through the valve body from on top of the sink and one to control the water with the shutoff's.
Failure to flush mineral build up from the valve body can cause damage to the new cartridge.
The following step will cause water to flow through the disassembled valve body (#15) to the surrounding area.
- Place a bowl upside down on the open valve body to redirect any water splash into the sink.
- Under the sink, slowly and carefully (only turn the water on slightly) turn the hot water shutoff on and back off to allow a slight flow of water to go through the system. Repeat the same process for the cold water. This will clear the water lines to prepare for when the new parts are installed.
- Remove any excess water from the bottom of the valve body . If the water is not eliminated, the cartridge will not fit all the way back in.
For more detail on replacing a 1225 cartridge Click Here
- Slide the new cartridge into the brass valve body aligning the two clear plastic tabs on the cartridge with the cutouts on the brass valve body (#1. The cutouts are located at the 12:00 and 6:00 positions on the valve body .
2. Gently slide the copper clip (#10) back into the brass valve body on top of the cartridge. If you encounter any resistance, do not force the copper clip (#10). The cartridge may not be properly aligned, see step 1.
If the copper clip (#10) cannot be installed for any reason or appears to be damaged or broken, the water cannot be turned back on to the faucet until the copper clip (#10) is replaced.
- Re-install pivot retainer (#6) with exterior horizontal grooves facing the back of the faucet.
- Replace the collar (#5), tighten snugly by hand.
- With cartridge stem notch facing forward (#9), hook handle lug (see Tip Box)) into handle (#4) groove. Align handle connector (#3) with cartridge stem (#9) and gently press handle(#4) onto cartridge stem(#9).
- Replace handle screw (#2).
- Press on handle cap (#1).