This is the underside of the handle showing the handle lug.
- Carefully pry off handle cap (1) with flat bladed instrument.
- Using a Phillips screwdriver, remove handle screw (2).
- Lift handle (4) up and off.
- Being careful not to damage the finish, unscrew and remove collar (5) and lift off pivot retainer (6).
- Unscrew and remove retainer nut, o-ring, bearing washer and washer(s) (7).
- Slide out cartridge clip (10) with a flat bladed instrument.
- Using the Moen cartridge twisting tool (as furnished in the model 1225 cartridge pack, or a Moen cartridge puller) turn cartridge shell back and forth with pliers to loosen.
8. Gripping the cartridge stem with pliers, pull cartridge up and out of faucet body.
Before installing the new cartridge- Valve Cleaning and Flushing:
Clean the inside of the valve body with a soft bristled nylon brush (e.g. old toothbrush), to remove any mineral buildup. After cleaning the valve, flush the inside of the valve body by:
- Placing a bowl upside down on the open valve to redirect any water splash into the sink.
- Turn on the water supply lines slightly to flush clean water through the open valve.
- Remove any access water from the bottom of the valve.
For more detail on replacing a 1225 cartridge Click Here
- Be sure that cartridge ears are aligned with the slots in the valve body, front to back (see cartridge clip picture) With cartridge stem UP, insert new cartridge assembly by pushing down on top of cartridge ears.
- Re-install the cartridge clip (10), washer(s), bearing washer, o-ring and the retainer nut (7). Tighten snugly by hand.
- Re-install pivot retainer (6) with exterior horizontal grooves facing the back of the faucet.
- Replace the collar (5), tighten snugly by hand.
- With cartridge stem notch facing forward (9), hook handle lug (see Tip Box)) into handle (4) groove. Align handle connector (3) with cartridge stem (9) and gently press handle(4) onto cartridge stem(9).
- Replace handle screw (2).
- Press on handle cap (1).