- The water supply shut off valves must be turned off- see article How to Turn Off the Water Supply to the Faucet.
- Recommended Tools: Phillips Screwdriver Pliers or Wrench, Thermometer
- The following instructions assume the handle has been removed. For additional details, visit solutions.moen.com and select the type you are repairing. The faucet guide will contain specific information on handle assemblies associated with that style of product.
The valve is calibrated at the factory to provide a range of 85 to 115 degrees Fahrenheit (29 to 46 degrees Celsius). If another range of temperatures is desired or if the thermostatic cartridge is removed and replaced, recalibration is necessary.
NOTE: Re-calibration to a higher maximum temperature will increase the temperature across the entire range
Temperature range is 30 degrees between hot and cold.
CAUTION: RISK OF SCALDING HAZARD
The valve has been calibrated at the factory to provide a maximum water temperature of 115°F (46°C). Any significant variation in the calibration, or any variation in the water supply temperatures (greater than 5°F or 3°C) from those used at the factory during the calibration procedure, can result in water temperatures that present scalding dangers. Therefore, it is important to check the water temperature with the temperature extension rotated to the full counterclockwise position to determine the maximum temperature of the water.The responsibility for the proper installation and any recalibration of this valve lies with the installer.
Prepare the Valve:
1. Turn the temperature extension (B) counter-clockwise until it stops.
2. Loosen and remove the screw (A) in the center of the temperature extension by turning it counter-clockwise.
3. Carefully remove the temperature extension (B) without turning it or the spindle (C) behind it. You have now accessed the spindle (C) .
Set the Temperature:
4. To increase the temperature, rotate the spindle (C) counter-clockwise one or two spline(s) past the pin (E) on the retaining nut. To decrease the temperature, rotate the spindle (C) clockwise one or two spline(s) past the pin (E) on the retaining nut.
5. Replace the temperature extension (B), positioned fully counter-clockwise with the tab as close as possible to the clockwise side of the pin (E) in the retaining nut. This should be done without rotating the spindle (C). Do not install the screw (A) at this time.
Test the Temperature:
6. Turn the the flow extension (D) or lever handle completely off by rotating clockwise. In the preparation process, the water supply shut off valves were turned off. Turn the water supply shut off valves back on.
7. Turn the flow extension (D) or the lever handle if still assembled on by rotating counter-clockwise.
8. After the water temperature has stabilized, check the temperature. This will be the new maximum temperature. If the temperature is not suitable, turn off the water supply shut off valves, repeat steps 3-5 and test the temperature.
9. When the maximum temperature is acceptable, re-install the screw (A) in the temperature extension (B) and tighten.
For additional information on Moen products visit solutions.moen.com and select the type of product you are repairing. The guide will contain repair details, troubleshooting and specific information on assembling handles associated with that style of product.