Flow Rate readings and Flow Sensor Maintenance
This article includes detailed information on the:
- Flo by Moen app, also known as the Smart Water Network app or the Moen Smart Water app
- Flo Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff, also known as the Flo by Moen Water Shutoff
DISCLAIMER: PLEASE CONSULT A LICENSED PLUMBING PROFESSIONAL BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY WORK ON YOUR HOME PLUMBING SYSTEM.
If your Flo Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff is not registering water flow / usage on your app, here are some steps to take to verify that the internal flow sensor is properly functioning.
The Flo Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff uses a turbine system that sends a signal to an internal sensor to read and calculate your homes water usage. In the event that there may be debris from the installation or other repairs performed on the homes plumbing system, you may have to remove the Flo Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff to clear any foreign objects affecting the readings from the internal flow sensor.
Here are the steps to follow:
1. Remove the Flo Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff, but first verify that your main water supply is turned off and that water is drained from the home.
Tip: Open as many fixtures to drain the water from the plumbing system.
2. Using a wrench, loosen the 2 black polymer union nuts that secure the Flo Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff to your home’s plumbing system.
Tip: To loosen turn polymer union nuts counter-clockwise.
3. Carefully remove the Flo Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff and inspect the inner valve body and turbine for any debris or contaminants.
4. Clean out any debris and blow into the turbine housing to verify that the turbine is spinning freely.
5. Re-install the Flo Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff and make sure that the 2 o-rings are properly seated before securing the connection to the plumbing line.
6. Verify that the orientation of the Flo Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff is in the correct position.
Tip: There are arrows marked on the device indicating the direction of the water flow to your home fixtures.
7. DO NOT over-tighten the black polymer union nuts when re-installing. Simply hand-tighten and use a 1/4 turn with your wrench to secure the device.
8. Gradually open your main shut off valve allowing water to gradually run through your Flo Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff and plumbing system.
9. Verify that the flow rates are being registered on your Flo by Moen app through the Control Panel.
This video explains the proper way to inspect and clean the flow sensor for any signs of debris. For well systems with metallic particles, please refer to this article for more information.
Please contact the Flo Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff support at 1-844-MEETFLO (1-844-633-8356) for more information.