This article includes detailed information on the Flo Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff, also known as the Flo by Moen Water Shutoff.
What does Freeze Warning mean?
Freeze Warning is a warning related to the water temperature inside of the Flo Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff reaching a near freezing level.
Water has a unique property in that it expands as it freezes. This expansion puts tremendous pressure on whatever is containing it, including copper or plastic pipes. No matter the strength of the pipe, expanding water can cause pipes to break.
Pipes that freeze most frequently are:
- Pipes that are exposed to severe cold, like outdoor hose bibs, swimming pool supply lines, and water sprinkler lines.
- Water supply pipes in unheated interior areas like basements and crawl spaces, attics, garages, or kitchen cabinets.
- Pipes that run against exterior walls that have little or no insulation.
Pipe freezes in the home water system is a leading cause of homeowners insurance claims each year.
What do I do about a Freeze Warning?
Freeze Warning is a warning related to the water temperature inside of the Flo Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff reaching a near freezing level. Depending on whether or not you are home, there are a number of preventative steps to take to avoid freezing pipes.
- When the weather is very cold outside, let the cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes. Running water through the pipe - even at a trickle - helps prevent pipes from freezing.
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature both during the day and at night. By temporarily suspending the use of lower nighttime temperatures, you may incur a higher heating bill, but you can prevent a much more costly repair job if pipes freeze and burst.
- If you will be going away during cold weather, leave the heat on in your home, set to a temperature no lower than 55° F.
- And if you will be leaving your home for an extended period of time, consider draining all the water in your home before leaving.
For more tips, see these articles:
If you need further assistance contact your local plumber or call Flo Support or call 844-Meet-Flo for more information.